Monday, January 26, 2009

Store Review: The Jean Queen

This weekend I took my little sister shopping. She's 12 years old, gorgeous, and just getting to the size and height to buy her first woman's size clothing. I've been dieing to take her on a sister-sister shopping trip for, I don't know, her entire LIFE, but this is the first time she's ever shown an interest in clothes. So we set off on sunday afternoon armed with $150 and 12 years of repressed shopping energy.



The challenge: My sister is 5'1 and a size 00 - where was I going to find grown up clothes that small?


I'd read the other day about a store on my street called The Jean Queen. The review said that they carry a wide range of styles in all sizes - petite to plus size. The clothes on their website looked pretty fun so it seemed as good a place as any to start.


As soon as we walked in I was assaulted by colour. The room was filled with every imaginable hue, and the walls and windows were lined with impossibly hip and eclectic ensembles. I also immediately noticed the two store clerks - two beautiful young woman, one about 5'2 and a size 1 or 2, and the other tall and curvy and around a size 16, so that was promising. Both were as impossibly stylish as the displays, and I wanted to immediately place myself in their hands and tell them to restructure my entire wardrobe. But alas the day was not about my shopping needs!



I approached the petite girl and asked for help with my sister. She pointed out the different areas of the store. They have a sizable clearance section, where I snagged a cute pair of embroidered jeans for my sister for $18. Their huge collection covers everything from lingerie and accessories to casual to night out on the town to office attire, and each section of the store is divided into two areas - small (size 00 - 12) and curvy (size 14 - 20). They also carry some junior sizes, which are around 00 - 6 but have a shorter leg and waist (great for 10-14 year olds). My sister wanted an outfit that she could dress up in, that was grown up without being age inappropriate. The shop clerk came back in about 2 minutes with a gorgeous high waisted black pencil skirt ($35), and a simple grey button down shirt with a small frill down the front ($22). My little sister fell in love with the outfit the minute she put it on, and I was pretty much dumfounded when I saw her. She looked like she had stepped off the cover of a magazine.

I really recommend this store to anyone. It's so great to find a store that has fashionable, good quality clothing for all body types and at reasonable prices. I'll definitely be going back soon!

2277 Commercial Drive
Vancouver
Monday to Saturday 11-7pm
Sunday 12-6pm


Note: I was not paid to write this review, nor did I receive any merchandise or services in return for writing it.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! Thats sweet. I cant believe how much shes grown, shes almost as tall as me!

    ReplyDelete