Thursday, January 15, 2009

People who are still banging rocks together

Conversati0n I had at work a little while ago on the phone:

Time: 2:30 AM


Me: Hi, is this Mrs ***

Mrs ***: Speaking

Me: I got the voice message you left half an hour ago regarding an emergency with your budgie?

Mrs ***: Yes, sweetums is not acting herself. I'm afraid she might die. I need to see the Dr _ right away!

Me: Well, I'm afraid Dr. _ is at home sleeping at the moment. She will be in again at 9am, I can fit you in for the first appointment tomorrow.

Mrs ***: No, no, I need to see someone right away, I'm so worried.

Me: Why don't you take your bird to the __ Animal Emergency Clinic.

Mrs. ****: No, it's $200 just to get in. I don't want to pay that. I need to see Dr. _

Me: Ok, I'll just write you into the schedule...

Mrs ***: I can't wait till tomorrow, my bird might die!!

Me: Can you describe what your bird is doing?

Mrs ***: She's off. She's tired and just behaving strangely. What if she has a seizure?

Me: Is she fluffed up?

Mrs ***: No

Me: Does she have open mouth breathing?

Mrs ***: No

Me: Does she have blood or undigested food in her droppings?

Mrs ***: No! I need to see Dr _

Me: Dr _ is sleeping at the moment. She works 6 days a week and can't come in during the middle of the night It looks like your bird is ok to come in tomorrow morning. If your bird starts to seizure.....

Mrs ***: (not listening) My bird might die! I need to come in now!! Call Dr. _!

Me: If your bird starts to seizure, take him to the _ Animal Emergency Clinic.

Mrs ***: Thats 40 minutes away! I need to see Dr _ (the _ Animal Emergency Clinic is 5 mins away from the hospital I'm working at)

Me: You can also go to _ 24 hour hospital, I think that might be closer. Let me give you their #

Mrs ***: No, I demand you call Dr _ now, or you'll be responsible if my bird dies! I can't believe you won't help me. If my bird dies it will be your fault!

Me: If you're that worried about your bird, then take her to the emergency clinic.

Mrs ***: No! Call Dr. _ or I'll get you fired.

Me: Beleive me, if I call Dr _ at this hour I WILL get fired.

Mrs ***: So you're not going to call her?

Me: No. I've scheduled you in for a 9 AM appointment tommorrow morning.

Mrs *** ....... I can't make it, I have to work. Do you have anything on Saturday?

Me: *Head to Desk*

3 comments:

  1. Oh god, you should put that on notalwaysright.com People are such expletives deleted. Do you get that often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, only occasionally. Most people realize that Vets need to sleep occasionally, and that's why there's two 24 hour emergency clincs in the lower mainland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about notalwaysright.com, but I think it's too long!

    ReplyDelete