Saturday, January 17, 2009

Homeless in Vancouver

Today, someone I know got mugged by a homeless person armed with a hypodermic needle a couple of blocks away from our apartment. Although I know that here in Vancouver such events are a rarity, it still comes as a shock. I walk home from work, sometimes late at night, down that street all the time. I'll continue to do so, but I won't be able to feel secure in my safety. My love for this neighbourhood now has a hard edge to it.

I was born in a country where so many brutal crimes are commited daily that you become desensitized. "Did you hear about that family that got hijacked?" "Was anybody killed?" "No, the father was shot, but he's recovering in hospital. The little girl's ok" "Oh, well they're lucky then".

But here in Vancouver, supposedly one of the most livable cities in the world, you just don't expect this kind of thing.

According to the 2008 Metro Vancouver Homeless Count (http://www.metrovancouver.org/planning/homelessness/Pages/default.aspx) there are thousands of people living on Vancouver streets. Here is a summation of the key findings:

  • The homeless population has grown by 22% since 2005, and the unsheltered population has grown by 40%
  • 2660 homeless people (those who did not have a place they could stay for a period of more than 30 days, and who paid no rent.)
  • 402 people who appeared homeless but could not be confirmed as they refused to be interviewed, or could not be roused
  • 94 accompanied children
  • 59 unaccompanied children
  • 59% of the total homeless population were unsheltered
  • 19% of the total homeless population had tried to enter a shelter that night but were turned away because the shelter was full
  • 48% had an addiction problem, 44% had a medical problem, 30% had a physical disability, and 31% had a mental illness.
  • Employment was a source of income for 1/4 of the sheltered homeless population, including 11% that had full time employment.
  • 43% of the total homeless population identified income assistance (welfare) as a source of income
Those last two points concern me the most. This is a first world country. It's unacceptable that people can be working, some full time, and not be making enough to put a basic roof over their heads. Minimum wage is currently $8 per hour, where it has been frozen since 2001. It is the second lowest minimum wage in Canada. If someone works full time on minimum wage, they will bring home about $1100 after tax. That's less that I pay for my apartment each month.

Even more unacceptable: A single employable person on welfare receives a mere $610 per month, and a single person with a disability rendering them unemployable receives $906.

There simply isn't enough low income housing to accomodate these people. Gordon Campbell anounced that he is going to spend $1.5 million to create 200 more emergency shelter beds (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancouver+open+more+shelter+beds/1082488/story.html) but that just feels like trying to fix a plumbing leak with duct tape. Surely it would be better to focus on developing more non-market housing, addiction services, and better care for the mentally ill.

Until then, the homeless population of Vancouver will continue to increase. And with desperation for social services that simply aren't there, more may be driven to crime to get there next meal or fix. And the next victim could be you.

2 comments:

  1. You know what? My boss actually fixes plumbing leaks with duct tape.

    But yeah..I started at PJ's making only 8$/hour. Thats a joke considering how hard I often have to work when Im on my own. I did get a raise of 50c on Dec 1. I dont even work full time and my parents decided to charge me rent. Its not much, its only 50$ per pay period, ($100/month) but when you only make 50$ a day, thats actually a huge deal, its a days wages! The reason theyre using it, my dad confessed, is to put it away for an emergency fund, because my own parents cant even save money on what my dad makes. They like to make me feel guilty about being able to go away but I dont think they do it deliberately, or at least they dont realize what theyre doing. My dad is really good at making me feel like a loser.

    Whoops, I just kinda ranted there didnt I...sorry. But yeah, I feel really bad for people out there who are struggling to make ends meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It is tough. For you and everyone else. (And for your parents who have worked hard their whole life, it sucks that they also have to struggle now)

    ReplyDelete